GDA: current status

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Sat Dec 9 19:47:57 EST 2006

On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 06:37:55PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> [...]

Looks may be misleading.  Just because Recurrence has 3 members
instead of FreqSpec's 17 doesn't mean FreqSpec can represent more.  In
fact, Recurrence is more general, both in the types of repetition it
can specify, and in that it also represents the starting date.

Recurrences don't have guids, and have no relation to QofInstance or
QofEntity.  They are not "engine objects".  They are "data".

> >> Well, I think Freqspec is Recurrence + last-executed + number of executions.

Actually, not at all.  Things like last-executed, number-executed,
start and end dates, and several more are all part of SX, not
FreqSpec.

It would be more accurate to say, conceptually,

 Recurrence = FreqSpec + starting date.

> >> I dont really care how they get combined, but really there should be
> >> only one.

Phil, if you want to adapt FreqSpec + starting date from SX into
Recurrences, you're more than welcome, but 1) it's really outside the
scope of gda-dev, so I'd recommend another branch, and 2) be warned
that doing it right is a lot of work, (or it would already have been
done).

> > The thing about FreqSpec is that they don't look like they need to be
> > evenly spaced.  I don't know why you would not do that, but you might
> > want a FreqSpec to be "last friday of every month" or "15th and 30th of
> > every month" which Recurrence wouldn't handle.
>
> Sure it could.  Recurrence has:
>
>     PERIOD_END_OF_MONTH, /* This is actually a period plus a phase. */
>     PERIOD_NTH_WEEKDAY,  /* Also a phase, e.g. Second Tueday.       */
>     PERIOD_LAST_WEEKDAY, /* Also a phase. */
>
> I'm not exactly sure how you'd handle "last friday", except perhaps by
> "nth weekday" where n is -1 and the weekday of the first is friday.

Actually, it's much simpler than that.  "Last Friday of every month,
beginning yester day" is represented as {12/8/2006,
PERIOD_LAST_WEEKDAY, 1} (mult=2 would mean "last friday of every
_other_ month, etc.)

BTW, one difference between FreqSpec and Recurrence: FreqSpec can
actually represent an internally-linked tree-structure of nested
"composite" FreqSpecs.  I have no idea why.  It's a very inefficent
data structure, since only the "leaves" carry the data, and the
structure is meaningless.  The Recurrence API handles this with a
GList of Recurrences.  However, I believe it's an unused interface at
the moment.

-chris