Registers (was Re: GDA: A few questions)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Dec 11 11:11:21 EST 2006

Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:

> (*) This really should be fixed: the template-transaction accounts
> should probably be a more literal mirror of the real account tree, in
> terms of types and commodities.  The whole point of using real Accounts
> and Transactions for the template transactions was to leverage the
> editor (register) and the implicit application constraints for the
> template transactions ... I didn't want to re-implment or re-specify a
> bunch of logic around "template" transactions seperate from "real"
> transactions, and especially not the register component.  But for a few
> reasons, they did diverge.  In any case, it'd be nice if they were
> closer together, but that's not a focus of the branches/sx-cleanup/,
> right now.

I'm hoping that with the "register rewrite" it'll be much easier
to create a register for different data types just by creating
the appropriate data model.  Granted, the original register was
an attempt to do that, but I dont think it was abstracted at
the right places.

I haven't looked at Chris' work to see how much easier it'll be....
But I'm still hopeful.