engine objects vs. SX or invoices (was: GDA: A few questions)

warlord at MIT.EDU warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Dec 12 14:43:51 EST 2006

Quoting Benoit Grégoire <bock at step.polymtl.ca>:

> On Tuesday 12 December 2006 09:54, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> HOWEVER, I think there's another issue here..  When you're doing a
>> large import and you create new accounts as part of the import, if you
>> then cancel the import process these new accounts don't get backed
>> out too.
>
> That's probably not worth solving.  Creating the accounts requires a user
> intervention anyway, and backing out of the import does not necessarily mean
> that the user wants or expects all the accounts he manually created to be
> deleted.

While I agree it's not worth solving on its own, if we can solve it at
the same time as everything else we're working on here then we should.
In my opinion, if a user clicks "Cancel" then EVERYTHING from the import
should be canceled, including the new account creation.

I'll point out that the way the QIF importer did this was that it created
a duplicate account hierarchy for the import and then during the 'finish'
it merged everything from the new hierarchy into the original one.

But yes, I agree that this problem shouldn't be worked on by itself, I
was just pointing out it's one of many ways that the import process isnt
atomic.