GDA: multiple books

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 14 14:13:52 EST 2006

Quoting Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com>:

> The subject of multiple books has come up, especially with a GDA
> backend.  qofsession.c has the comment:
>
>    /* XXX why are we creating a book here? I think the books
>    * need to be handled by the backend ... especially since
>    * the backend may need to load multiple books ... XXX. FIXME.
>    */
>
> in routine qof_session_load().  I am not prepared at this point to
> change the architecture to support book creation by the back end.  If
> this is changed and a branch is provided, I will be happy to merge with
> it and support multiple books.  Of course, GC would then need a new
> backend API to query the set of books so that an appropriate UI could be
> provided to the user.

Well,the Query DOES already support multiple books..  There's a BookList
in the Query object.   That nothwithstanding, I do believe that you should
keep multiple books in mind when designing your data structures, even
if gnucash today doesn't actually do anything with it.

I.e., but the data structures into place that you think you'd need to
support multipole books.