invalid glib key names in gnucash

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Dec 31 05:21:43 EST 2006

Am Samstag, 30. Dezember 2006 05:06 schrieb David Hampton:
> On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:42 -0800, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > gnucash creates its own glib key files in ~/.gnucash/books.  The keys
> > used in these files are filled with spaces.  Spaces are not allowed in
> > glib keys.
>
> Since when?  The g_keyfile documentation that appears in devhelp says
> nothing about the space character being invalid in keys. In fact, it
> implicitly implies that the space *is* a valid character, by
> specifically stating that "to preserve initial and final spaces, these
> can also be escaped as \s."  This documentation is generated directly
> from the glib sources.

Although the GKeyFile documentation says so, it is at least ambiguous about
whether this sentence refers to the keys or the values or both. In any case,
the documentation clearly does *not* say that keys *must not* contain any
spaces.

If the glib developers now decided this constraint must hold, they better come
up with a really good reason to justify this new, additional constraint.

> > Two things are necessary here:
> >
> > 1) Make gnucash stop using the illegal keys,
>
> They weren't illegal when the code was written.  They still aren't if
> you have glib less then 2.12.5.  The glib developers have made them
> illegal by fiat.
>
> > 2) Transition for users with existing files so that they don't suddenly
> > lose.
>
> Duh.  Try telling that to the glib developers.

But surely this isn't Thomas Bushnell's fault at all. Thanks for telling us
and I guess we have to argue with upstream now ourselves.

Christian