IRC discussion on i18n, xml/utf8, and 1.8->2.0 data migration issues

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Fri Feb 3 21:49:37 EST 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-04 at 09:02 +1100, Conrad Canterford wrote:

> For what its worth, I think the OO solution of a "Save As" with warning
> dialog (which in my experience /always/ comes up) is the (longer term)
> way to go. Not that I recommend copying Microsoft at all, but this is
> the way they do things too, and it is an approach users are familiar
> with. I'd also not be fussed if it didn't make it into 2.0, since I'm
> very familiar with the gnucash way of doing things.

Actually if you're comparing with M$ I can comment here. I used M$ Money
for a long time before migrating to GnuCash and several times they
upgraded with a new version to a non-backwards compatible new file and
left the old one as money.old-ver# (forget the exact name). Money
handled upgrades very differently to the likes of word, etc as it used a
jet db and not a binary file format.

> I do think it should be prominent somewhere (on the release advices at
> least) that datafiles saved with new features cannot be loaded into 1.8
> AT ALL. I think a start-up dialog probably isn't a bad idea either since
> (no offence Wilddev) I suspect many people don't really read the release
> notices.

Er, none taken tho I'm not sure what I should be offended about ;-)
We can easily add to release notices about the incompatibility. To be
honest I think the startup dialog really should be no more than if you
open a 1.8 file then display 'you wont be able to open this file from
now on in 1.8' and then save a copy in the old format. _If_ its possible
and easy to do that.

Chris
--
RedHat Certified Engineer #807302549405490.
Checkpoint Certified Security Expert 2000 & NG
        | |^| | |  Life out here is raw
        | | |^| |  But we will never stop
        | |_|_| |  We will never quit
        | / __> |  cause we are Metallica