Translations and 1.9.0

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 06:59:29 EST 2006

Are we having a string freeze before 1.9.0? If not (and there probably isn't
time) can we _use_ 1.9.0 as a platform to get the other translators started
on the work for gnucash 2.0.0 ?

There are a huge number of modified translatable strings going from 1.8 to
1.9.0 and even if some of those in 1.9.0 change again in 2.0.0, it's going to
be MUCH easier to get the bulk of the new strings translated as early as
possible.

Only a handful have been done so far, so maybe we should send the 1.9.0 pot
file to the GNU translation project asap (i.e. today) so that by the time
1.9.1 comes around, we have at least a majority of translations updated (even
if not 100% updated) and by the time 2.0.0 is ready, there is no more than a
tweak required to each translation. Otherwise, we could release 2.0.0 and be
waiting months (or until 2.1, maybe 2.2) for translations to catch up.

We do have a long list of translations for 1.8 but most of those are not up to
date with 1.8.11 yet:
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/translation/registry.cgi?domain=gnucash

(When I did some work on the en_GB translation, I was asked if it was possible
to allow a *lot* more time for other translations than gnucash may have done
historically.)

--

Neil Williams