Build and run in separate directory

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Wed Feb 8 12:59:51 EST 2006

--On February 8, 2006 9:45:40 AM -0500 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
wrote:

> I'm not sure what SVN revision you're trying, but you can very well
> /build/ gnucash in another build directory.  I admit that I haven't
> tried running it out of a separate build directory.

I think it may work ok if the build directory is a sibling of the
source directory.  However there is a problem in intl-scm/Makefile.am
if the build directory is not a sibling of the source directory.  In my
case I have some existing build tools that want the source directory at
/tools/gnucash-1.9/gnucash-1.9 and the build directory at
/tools/gnucash-1.9/build/darwin (one level deeper).  It builds a list
of SCM files in one directory and then tries to use the list in another
and the relative path names in the list are not valid.

I also got lots of compile errors because it couldn't find qofla-dir.h
in ${top_builddir}/lib/libqof/qof until I changed QOF_CFLAGS in
configure.in to search that directory.  This might have been fixed in
svn or it might be another artifact of my unusual setup.

All of the other changes were related to running, not building.  I
don't really care about these patches much.  If you want them, fine.
If you don't, so be it.  I had them so I decided to send them.

Mike Alexander           mta at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6