Help running Gnucash in my language

Andreas Köhler andi5.py at gmx.net
Thu Feb 9 09:16:05 EST 2006

Hi,

> >Stupid question. What about
> >LANG=nb_NO.UTF8 /opt/gnucash-1.9/bin/gnucash?
> >
> >-- andi5
> >
> :-) It's not that stupid

Thanks ;-)

> I have the Norwegian TRANSLATION, but not the accounts, it worked
> without the .utf8 suffix to get the text right, but NOT accounts.
> See below the last output gives no errors, and translation works
> fine but not the norwegian accounts.
>
> THT
>
> tortho at inspiron:~$ LANG=nb_NO.UTF8 /opt/gnucash-1.9/bin/gnucash
>
> (gnucash:11434): Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib
>
> (gnucash:11434): Gdk-WARNING **: cannot set locale modifiers
[snip - english]

> tortho at inspiron:~$ LANGUAGE=nb_NO.UTF8 /opt/gnucash-1.9/bin/gnucash
[snip - norsk bokmål]

I _think_ I finally got it =) Some possible working calls

unset LANGUAGE;              export LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8; gnucash
export LANGUAGE=nb;          export LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8; gnucash
export LANGUAGE=nb_NO.UTF-8; export LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8; gnucash

What does not seem to work (as expected):

export LANGUAGE=de;          export LANG=nb_NO.UTF-8; gnucash
  (german translation, norsk accounts)
export LANGUAGE=nb_NO.UTF-8; export LANG=de_DE.UTF8;  gnucash
  (norsk translation, german accounts)
export LANGUAGE=nb_NO.UTF-8; unset LANG;              gnucash
  (completely C)

A few random comments:

- After looking at xlibs locale.alias, I tried to change UTF8 to
  UTF-8, which worked then. Quoting

  http://lists.debian.org/debian-glibc/2004/12/msg00059.html

  "X11 uses the user representation name (UTF-8), because user
  should use such name. OTOH, locale -a displays the glibc internal
  normalized representation name (utf8), because glibc should accept
  not only UTF-8, but also other possible user representation name
  like utf8."

Please correct me for the next few:

- gettext needs at least LC_MESSAGES and LC_CTYPE set, otherwise it
  falls back to C

- LANG is one way to set all LC_* variables by providing a default
  value for unset variables

- LC_ALL is another, overriding every other LC_*, ignoring LANG

- LANGUAGE is a GNU extension and sets LC_MESSAGES to a locale with
  an existing translation, so if you have "nb_NO:sv_SE" and no norks
  bokmål is available, it switches to svensk instead (or falls
  back).

- LANGUAGE does not work with accounts/ ... maybe one can fix this?
  With the help of textdomain/bindtextdomain? I do not know...

found @ http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/locales-env-var.html
and   @ http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Using-gettextized-software.html#Using-gettextized-software

Any comments?

-- andi5