Problems running GnuCash 1.9.0 on kubuntu 5.10

Aaron Larson Aaron at larsonsonline.net
Sun Feb 12 20:39:09 EST 2006

NW> Neil Williams
AL> Aaron Larson

AL> ...  Perhaps this is a good place to mention that I was pretty
AL> confused when installing the dependencies mentioned in
AL> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/README.dependencies
AL> The packages listed in the ubuntu 5.10 section don't seem to match
AL> what I had to install

NW> If you've got a record of what you did install or just have a list
NW> of package names and versions from 'dpkg -l' to replace the ones
NW> that don't exist on Ubuntu, send them to the list as a patch for
NW> README.dependencies. I don't know if Ubuntu changes package names
NW> between releases - would package names in Breezy be any different
NW> to Dapper?

Sorry for the following mess.  Since I started this endeavor, ATI
released new video drivers and in debugging some "Big Desktop" issues
I ended up spuriously installing lots of gnome libraries (don't ask).
I'm in the process of setting up a test machine that I can use to
verify building/installing from a clean distribution and when I get
that setup, I can post a trimmed list, and a brief howto (for the
wiki?) if that's useful.

Here's dpkg -l from with the list of package names from
README.dependencies:

alarson at aaron2:~/gnucash$ dpkg -l '*aqbanking*' '*cairo*' '*gconf2*' '*glib2*' '*gtk+2*' '*guile*' '*gwrap*' '*libart2*' '*libglade2*' '*libgnomeprint2.2*' '*libgnomeui2*' '*libgsf1*' '*gtkhtml3*' '*libofx*' '*libxml2*' '*pango*'
No packages found matching *aqbanking*.
No packages found matching *gtk+2*.
No packages found matching *libgnomeui2*.
No packages found matching *libgsf1*.
||/ Name                     Version                  Description
+++-========================-========================-================================================================
ii  gconf2                   2.12.0-0ubuntu1          GNOME configuration database system. (daemon and tools, for GNOM
ii  gtkhtml3.8               3.8.1-0ubuntu1           HTML rendering/editing library - bonobo component binary
un  guile                    <none>                   (no description available)
ii  guile-1.6                1.6.7-1ubuntu3           The GNU extension language and Scheme interpreter
ii  guile-1.6-dev            1.6.7-1ubuntu3           Development files for Guile 1.6
un  guile-1.6-doc            <none>                   (no description available)
ii  guile-1.6-libs           1.6.7-1ubuntu3           Main Guile libraries
ii  guile-1.6-slib           1.6.7-1ubuntu3           Guile SLIB support
ii  guile-g-wrap             1.9.6-2ubuntu2           scripting interface generator for C - Guile runtime
ii  guile-library            0.1.2-1                  Library of useful Guile modules
ii  libart2                  1.4.2-20                 The GNOME canvas widget - runtime files
un  libcairo                 <none>                   (no description available)
un  libcairo-dev             <none>                   (no description available)
un  libcairo0.5.1            <none>                   (no description available)
un  libcairo0.5.1-dev        <none>                   (no description available)
un  libcairo0.6.0            <none>                   (no description available)
un  libcairo0.6.0-dev        <none>                   (no description available)
un  libcairo0.9.0            <none>                   (no description available)
un  libcairo0.9.0-dev        <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libcairo2                1.0.2-0ubuntu1           The Cairo 2D vector graphics library
ii  libcairo2-dev            1.0.2-0ubuntu1           Development files for the Cairo 2D graphics library
un  libcairo2-doc            <none>                   (no description available)
un  libgconf2-2              <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgconf2-4              2.12.0-0ubuntu1          GNOME configuration database system libraries (for GNOME2)
ii  libgconf2-dev            2.12.0-0ubuntu1          GNOME configuration database system development files. (for GNOM
ii  libglade2-0              2.5.1-2ubuntu1           library to load .glade files at runtime
ii  libglade2-dev            2.5.1-2ubuntu1           development files for libglade
ii  libglib2.0-0             2.8.3-0ubuntu1           The GLib library of C routines
un  libglib2.0-data          <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libglib2.0-dev           2.8.3-0ubuntu1           Development files for the GLib library
un  libglib2.0-doc           <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgnomeprint2.2-0       2.12.1-0ubuntu1          The GNOME 2.2 print architecture - runtime files
ii  libgnomeprint2.2-data    2.12.1-0ubuntu1          The GNOME 2.2 print architecture - data files
ii  libgnomeprint2.2-dev     2.12.1-0ubuntu1          The GNOME 2.2 print architecture - development files
ii  libgtkhtml3.8-15         3.8.1-0ubuntu1           HTML rendering/editing library - runtime files
ii  libgtkhtml3.8-dev        3.8.1-0ubuntu1           HTML rendering/editing library - development files
un  libguile-dev             <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libguile-ltdl-1          1.6.7-1ubuntu3           Guile's patched version of libtool's libltdl
ii  libgwrap-runtime0        1.9.6-2ubuntu2           scripting interface generator for C - runtime
ii  libgwrap-runtime0-dev    1.9.6-2ubuntu2           scripting interface generator for C - development files
un  libgwrapguile-dev        <none>                   (no description available)
un  libgwrapguile-dev        <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgwrapguile1           1.3.4-14                 g-wrap: Tool for exporting C libraries into Scheme interpreters
ii  libgwrapguile1           1.3.4-14                 g-wrap: Tool for exporting C libraries into Scheme interpreters
un  libofx1c2                <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libofx2                  0.8.0-3ubuntu8           library to support Open Financial Exchange
un  libpango-common          <none>                   (no description available)
un  libpango-dev             <none>                   (no description available)
un  libpango0                <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libpango1.0-0            1.10.1-0ubuntu1          Layout and rendering of internationalized text
ii  libpango1.0-common       1.10.1-0ubuntu1          Modules and configuration files for the Pango
ii  libpango1.0-dev          1.10.1-0ubuntu1          Development files for the Pango
un  libpango1.0-doc          <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libxml2                  2.6.21-0ubuntu1          GNOME XML library
ii  libxml2-dev              2.6.21-0ubuntu1          Development files for the GNOME XML library
un  libxml2-headers          <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libxml2-utils            2.6.21-0ubuntu1          XML utilities
ii  python2.4-cairo          1.0.0-1ubuntu1           Python 2.4 language bindings for the Cairo vector graphics libra
ii  python2.4-libxml2        2.6.21-0ubuntu1          Python 2.4 bindings for the GNOME XML library

As you can see I never installed anything from aqbanking, and the
gtk+2, libgnomeui2, and libgsf1 package names didn't match.  I didn't
write down the packages that I translated them to when I installed,
but here is a good guess:

alarson at aaron2:~/gnucash$ dpkg -l '*gtk2*' '*gnomeui*' '*gsf*'
||/ Name                     Version                  Description
+++-========================-========================-================================================================
ii  gsfonts                  8.14+v8.11+urw-0.2       Fonts for the Ghostscript interpreter(s)
un  gsfonts-other            <none>                   (no description available)
un  gsfonts-x11              <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2-engines-cleanice    <none>                   (no description available)
ii  gtk2-engines-clearlooks  2.6.5-0ubuntu2           the ClearLooks theme engine for GTK+ 2.x
ii  gtk2-engines-crux        2.6.5-0ubuntu2           the Crux theme engine for GTK+ 2.x
un  gtk2-engines-galaxy      <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2-engines-glider      <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2-engines-gorilla     <none>                   (no description available)
ii  gtk2-engines-gtk-qt      0.60-1ubuntu5            Makes your GTK 2 apps look like Qt ones
un  gtk2-engines-highcontras <none>                   (no description available)
ii  gtk2-engines-industrial  2.6.5-0ubuntu2           'industrial' theme for GTK+ 2.x
ii  gtk2-engines-lighthouseb 2.6.5-0ubuntu2           LighthouseBlue theme for GTK+ 2.x
un  gtk2-engines-magicchicke <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2-engines-metal       <none>                   (no description available)
ii  gtk2-engines-mist        2.6.5-0ubuntu2           flat theme for GTK+ 2.x
un  gtk2-engines-nuvola      <none>                   (no description available)
ii  gtk2-engines-pixbuf      2.8.6-0ubuntu2.1         Pixbuf-based theme for GTK+ 2.x
un  gtk2-engines-qtpixmap    <none>                   (no description available)
ii  gtk2-engines-redmond95   2.6.5-0ubuntu2           Windows-like theme for GTK+ 2.x
ii  gtk2-engines-smooth      2.6.5-0ubuntu2           Smooth Engine for GTK+ 2.x
ii  gtk2-engines-spherecryst 0.7-10                   A blue vector theme for GTK+ 2.x
ii  gtk2-engines-thinice     2.6.5-0ubuntu2           the ThinIce theme engine for GTK+ 2.x
un  gtk2-engines-wasp        <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2-engines-wonderland  <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2-engines-xfce        <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2.0-engines-pixbuf    <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2.0-engines-redmond95 <none>                   (no description available)
un  gtk2.0-examples          <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgnomeui-0             2.12.0-0ubuntu1          The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - runtime files
ii  libgnomeui-common        2.12.0-0ubuntu1          The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - common files
ii  libgnomeui-dev           2.12.0-0ubuntu1          The GNOME 2 libraries (User Interface) - development files
un  libgnomeui-doc           <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgnomeui32             1.4.2-20                 The GNOME libraries (User Interface)
ii  libgsf-1                 1.12.3-3ubuntu3          Structured File Library - runtime version
ii  libgsf-gnome-1           1.12.3-3ubuntu3          Structured File Library - runtime version for GNOME
ii  libgtk2.0-0              2.8.6-0ubuntu2.1         The GTK+ graphical user interface library
un  libgtk2.0-0png3          <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgtk2.0-bin            2.8.6-0ubuntu2.1         The programs for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
ii  libgtk2.0-common         2.8.6-0ubuntu2.1         Common files for the GTK+ graphical user interface library
un  libgtk2.0-data           <none>                   (no description available)
ii  libgtk2.0-dev            2.8.6-0ubuntu2.1         Development files for the GTK+ library
un  libgtk2.0-doc            <none>                   (no description available)
ii  python-gtk2              2.8.1-0ubuntu2           Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set
un  python2.3-gtk2           <none>                   (no description available)
ii  python2.4-gtk2           2.8.1-0ubuntu2           Python bindings for the GTK+ widget set
un  tamil-gtk2im             <none>                   (no description available)