compiling gnucash2 on FC5-devel (gcc 4.1.0)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 13 11:52:54 EST 2006

Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> writes:

> I realize this is somewhat of a philosophical argument, but this is why
> I wouldn't dist a project with -Werror, as you never know what new warnings
> new compilers may trip you up with in the future. But other people
> see this differently than me.

True, it is a philosophical argument.  Ignoring those kinds of errors
(in particular the uninitialized variables) can mask real bugs.  I'd
rather the compile fail than user's get corrupt data or runtime
crashes because of bugs that the compiler can notice.  When the
package fails to compile users complain and then we can fix them.
Data corruption and runtime crashing is much harder to detect --
especially on weird architectures that none of the devs have handy.

On the gripping hand, 1.9.6 has been out for a while so there's little
excuse for not having upgraded it in FC5.  At this point FC5 is the
ONLY distro that still has g-wrap 1.3.4.  But I have no control over
that.  :(