compiling gnucash2 on FC5-devel (gcc 4.1.0)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 13 13:24:40 EST 2006

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

>> I realize this is somewhat of a philosophical argument, but this is why
>> I wouldn't dist a project with -Werror, as you never know what new warnings
>> new compilers may trip you up with in the future. But other people
>> see this differently than me.
>
> Personally, I don't trust gcc to not introduce new warnings, and I'd
> rather not lock users to whatever gcc version I've tested with.  So,
> what I'd prefer is to enable -Werror conditionally on detecting the
> gcc version that I know is supposed to be warning-free (gcc < 4.0.2 ?)
> , and for newer gcc versions, drop the -Werror, but leave -Wall so
> they at least show up, but don't prevent the build.

users are always welcome to ./configure --disable-error-on-warning.
We already offer them the rope.  I don't think we should tie it into
a noose AND put it around their neck automatically.  The user can choose
that themselves.