[Gnucash-changes] r13272 - gnucash/branches/cashutil - Halting the cashutil branch until further notice - development continues outside svn

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Feb 15 20:10:05 EST 2006

On Thursday 16 February 2006 12:44 am, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 00:15 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> > No-one here probably believes me, but IMHO it's actually easier to use
> > CVS, makepatch and manifest files rather than svn merge.
>
> I don't understand why you need to keep track of any more than 1 number
> -- that of revision at which point you branched.

That's the point, with my preferred system, I don't even have to do that. It's
the files that matter, not some arbitrary r number.

> And I don't see why
> that can't be in a comment, as the SVN docs suggest.

Because it's actually quite hard to find that comment amongst the other 13,000
- especially when the last merge was a little while ago. svn doesn't even
tell me WHEN. Once that r number is lost, as it was, merge becomes impossible
within any reasonable limits of effort.

> Frankly, I don't
> understand why you're doing any merges at all...?

Because I can't build and test cashutil if I haven't got the updated gnucash
objects and backend. Frankly, what on earth is the point of having an svn
branch if I don't have easy update access to the trunk?

> I think a CLI front-end is a valuable (future) addition to gnucash, and
> I think cashutil should be part of the gnucash source tree ... in fact,
> using the same translations and build system.  It's just another
> front-end...  `./configure --enable-cli --disable-gtk` ... is it not?

No, it is not. It is separate, it deserves to be separate and more important
than anything else, despite it being in svn I'm the only one working on it
and I can no longer work within the svn branch.

--

Neil Williams