reports and prices [Patch] reworked advanced-portfolio.scm

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Feb 20 14:19:17 EST 2006

--On February 20, 2006 1:47:57 PM -0500 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
wrote:

> Personally, I'm less worried about translating across currencies than
> I am about getting a proper stock->currency price.  Let's get the
> report working "correctly" for a single currency, and then we can add
> in support for multiple currencies.

That's reasonable, but most of the reports already do a decent job of
handling multiple currencies.

> Granted, I'm not 100% sure how to report multiple currencies, whether
> to report it all based on the current exchange rate, or whether to
> report it based on the exchange rate closest in time to the actual
> transactions.

I tried to make the reports I worked on handle both options when it
seemed to make sense.  The advanced-portfolio isn't quite right in this
respect yet, but it's closer.  Some of the other reports are better
about picking a consistent rule for looking up exchange rates.  For
example the transaction report always uses the exchange rate nearest to
the time of the transaction (since that seemed to make the most sense)
while the cash flow report has the option to use the nearest exchange
rate or the latest one (or the weighted average).

Multiple currency support is one of the reasons I switched to gnucash,
so I'm somewhat motivated to make it work well.  The fixes I made to
the transaction and cash flow reports made it significantly easier to
do my taxes last year.

     Mike