[Patch] reworked advanced-portfolio.scm

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Wed Feb 22 14:38:38 EST 2006

On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:26:57 -0700
Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:14:33 -0700
> >Mark Johnson <mrj001 at shaw.ca> wrote:
> >

> >>As far as lots on hand go, is it first-in-first-out or
> >>first-in-last-out?  Does this vary from country to country?
> >>

> >I know this varies. I think in the US (been too long since I held stock) you can decide either way and of course the advantage of one over the other varies depending on who's writing the tax laws this year.
> >
> >This could get really complicated. I guess the report shouldn't even show money-in or money out, just a cost basis for the shares, current value, gain and return. Then the basis column makes sense regardless of the method used for calculation. thoughts?

> Those four columns for the report seem sensible to me.
>
> I am concerned about the statement:  "the basis column makes sense regardless of the method used for calculation".
>

> The value in the cost basis column depends upon whether the cost basis
> is an average, FIFO, or LIFO.  For example:
> buy 1:  100 shares at $10.00
> buy 2:  100 shares at $11.00
> sell: 100 shares at $12.00
>
> Now, on an average basis, for the sale, my cost basis per share is
> $10.50, and my gain per share $1.50.  On a FIFO basis, my per-share cost
> basis for the sale is $10.00; my gain is $2.00 per share.  On a LIFO
> basis, my per share cost basis is $11.00; my gain is $1.00 per share.
>
> What remains after the sale?  I have 100 shares.  On an average basis,
> my cost is $10.50 per share.  On a FIFO basis, my cost is $11.00.  On a
> LIFO basis, my costs is $10.00.
>
> Both the cost basis and the gain columns are a function of the method
> chosen for calculating capital gains.

you misunderstand me there. i merely meant that a basis column is the right information to provide, as opposed to moneyin/moneyout, regardless of what method is used to calculate basis... seems to me that moneyin/moneyout is really of no use and may provide misleading information? I suppose its nice to see though that you've pulled $x.xx out of the stock over time. meh. maybe all three should be in there. I can always put in a display option for the various columns.