[Patch] reworked advanced-portfolio.scm

Herbert Thoma herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de
Thu Feb 23 13:45:28 EST 2006

Hi!

I yust want to throw in my 2 cents because I worked
on this report a long time ago, i.e. it is in its current
shape because it fits my needs.

Let me explain my usage scenario:

Most of my securities are denominated in Euro. I own some
in USD as well, but I bought them for a certain Euro amount
and I will sell them for Euro. So I get a cost basis in
Euro from the transactions. The money in and money out
values are consequently all in Euro. And since my report
currency is Euro I never need currency conversion for
money in or out.

The only place where I need currency conversion is the
current value because the stock quotes of the USD securities
are in USD.

So in the case where the report currency is the same as
the transaction currency you should allways use the
transaction value and don't do any currency conversion for
money in or out.

If the report currency is not the transcation currency
then you porbably should use the currency conversion factor
from the price db that is closest to the transaction time.

  Herbert.
--
Herbert Thoma
Head of Video Group