[RFC Patch] Invert the program entry point

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 3 11:07:07 EST 2006

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 08:06:00AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
>> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 6:18 am, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
>> > Folks,
>> >         I'm interested in comments on the attached patch.
>>
>> I too have been working on a gnucash C executable - but with even less links
>> into guile. I could get it to load gnucash as far as the splash screen, load
>> all the modules but had problems at the main window stage. (Hence it hasn't
>> been committed.) I think the problems are just down to some additional
>> configure defines that have unwanted side effects.
>>
>> I'm certainly in favour of working with you on this process.
>
> I'm glad there seems to be a consensus that this is a good idea.

I, too, believe it's a good idea.  I've been suggesting this route
as a quick-and-dirty way to get around the fragileness of /usr/bin/guile.
Historically we've had a problem when /usr/bin/guile executes a version
of guile different than the one gnucash was compiled against.  What you've
done is effectively fixed that shortcoming..

Over time we can move more of the initialization into C, but this is a
good first start.  :)