Error making pot file.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 15:06:36 EST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 10:23 am, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Neil Williams schrieb:
> >>Does anyone know why we version-control this generated file?
> >
> > make-gnucash-postfiles is made on each make started from ${top_srcdir}
> > and remade if it's deleted, so it should be safe to remove POTFILES.in
> > from svn control and let it be generated via make make pot.
> >
> > AFAICT, we can remove po/POTFILES.in
>
> No, please don't remove it.

We do need to remove it because it is not fully automatic. Any top-level
'make' command builds it by building and running make-gnucash-potfiles.

The only element that is still under manual control (using make pot) is the
actual gnucash.pot file which does not need to be automatic, only needs to be
run occasionally and takes a noticeable period of time.

> The reason why we version-control this
> generated file is because the Makefile in that directory is not under
> our control

Wrong, Christian, sorry. po/POTFILES.in is solely under our control and always
was. It does not have to be generated by the Makefile in po/ (which we do not
control), it can (and is) made by the Makefile in the directory above.

> (but instead gettext's) and it doesn't contain any rules for
> creating that file. The gettext setup assumes by convention that this
> file exists

True. It also expects US to provide it AND update it.

> and doesn't need to be generated, so as long as we use the
> gettext build system in the po directory, we need to follow that
> convention.

We are - we provide the file (by whichever means is most suitable to us) and
gettext uses it itself.

> The rule "make pot" is simply a convenience rule for translators

and now only makes the gnucash.pot itself.

> and was
> added by myself a few weeks ago. It is not in any way standarized or
> whatever.

True.

> We can of course include the generation of po/POTFILES.in into
> that rule, but we cannot rely on this rule in general.

We don't have to do that, the generation of po/POTFILES.in is automatic to the
top-level make - it is part of the make all target and as such is ALWAYS
built.

> The general
> "make" rule will decend into the po directory and will assume that
> po/POTFILES.in already exists.

Yes. But before make pot is run, make is run. Try it.

> If it doesn't, the compile will break.
> That's why we need to have it in SVN.

No, we do not because we have SOLE control over po/POTFILES.in

> I would kindly like to have r12247 and r12248 reverted.

I would like r12257 reverted.

Please test the changes before asking for a reversion.

--

Neil Williams