Error making pot file.

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Thu Jan 5 10:59:57 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 11:32:59PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> As Derek comments, it is better to have two targets but OSX barffed initially.
>
> I'm checking now if all-local will sort out these differences. (Let you now
> tomorrow - looks OK so far.)

  Sorry to be so picky, but what _exactly_ is the problem with Derek's
simple two target solution?

> pilot-qof test version:
>
> make-potfiles: make-potfiles.in Makefile
>         rm -f $@.tmp
>         sed < $< > $@.tmp \
>              -e 's:@-PERL-@:${PERL}:g'
>         chmod +x $@.tmp
>         mv $@.tmp $@
>
> all-local: Makefile
>         rm -f ./po/POTFILES.in
>         ./make-potfiles > ./po/POTFILES.in

^^^^^
I'd rather not do this unless there's _no_ other way.

> pot: Makefile
>         ${MAKE} all-local
>         rm -f po/$(PACKAGE).pot
>         make -C po $(PACKAGE).pot
>
> Let make-potfiles only be built once, run it when we need it.
>
> It also updates po/POTFILES.in each time 'make pot' is run (because all-local
> is skipped if a specific target is given).
>
> > HOWEVER, what I still don't see is how your change actually solves the
> > original problem: A file somewhere in the tree was deleted and POTFILES.in
> > wasn't updated. How is your solution going to fix this? Currently I can't
> > see  how POTFILES.in will be regenerated for that.
>
> AFAICT, the only way to catch all file deletions is to write a new
> po/POTFILES.in each time make is run from the top level directory using
> all-local because that is what ensures that po/POTFILES.in exists.

Well, it's not the _only_ way, but it's the simplest.  But...

> It works, but is this OK?

IMO, no, not really.  Adding things that trigger during the most
common case (`make`) when nothing is dirty is NotGood.  A `make` on a
completely clean tree already takes me 15 sec., and this adds about 3
sec, _every_single_time.  Please don't.

[snip]
> Testing on OSX tomorrow evening.

Please explain what OSX doesn't like about Derek's simple solution.
Maybe there's a simple fix.  Thanks.

-chris