libgsf and make check

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Fri Jan 6 16:13:56 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 15:57 -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 03:40:08PM -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> > (a) or (c) ... (b) isn't really an option, as we need a version that's
> > supported by our targeted distributions.
>
> I thought the point of pulling a library in-tree was to be able to use
> a version higher that what's supplied by the targeted distro.  Or are
> later versions possibly really not compatible with our targeted
> distro, even if we supply it?

Yeah, for the immediate included libraries, it's certainly about using a
later version than provided by the distro ... but the problem cascades
to the dependencies of the included libraries.

However, looking over the notes from README.dependenices, there's no
really significant depdendency shift from goffice-0.0.4/libgsf-1.12.3
vs. goffice-0.1.0/libgsf-1.13.1... maybe it does make sense to rev our
included copies even further.

There might still be a problem. however, in that either goffice-0.1.0 or
libgsf-1.13.1 might use more of glib/gtk 2.6 than 0.0.4/1.12.3 are,
which would require pulling even more of that code into our tree...
Similarly, we're also getting by with pango-1.6, where goffice really
depends on >= 1.8.1... but goffice-0.1.0 might actually need >
pango-1.6, which would require us to copy that code too.

It's probably worth the experiment to see if any of that is true -- it'd
be good to use the latest versions we can get away with.  But as what we
have (basically) works presently, I personally have more pressing
concerns at the moment.

--
...jsled