ChangeLog format [WAS: Error making pot file]

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sun Jan 8 16:14:29 EST 2006

Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

>> So..  It could break if you run make, then svn update (where someone
>> deleted a file), and then run "make dist".
>
> You're right.  But if I run make, then use svn to change to some other
> revision, and then run some other make command, and things break, I
> don't count that as a broken build - that's just unlucky.  Whenever I
> change revisions I expect that there's a _chance_ I'll need to `make
> clean'.  I usually don't, and it works fine, but I wouldn't count it
> as a broken build until I had.

I'm not convinced "make clean" will do the trick.  "make distclean"
would, but no, we shouldn't require a make distclean between each
build, especially for POTFILES.in automation.

> Well, since actually having to `make clean' is annoying, we should
> certainly do anything easy to avoid it.  The dist-hook runs just
> before the archival, so how's this:
>
> dist-hook:
>         ./make-gnucash-potfiles > $(distdir)/po/POTFILES.in

Actually, I think we just want something like:

dist-hook: po/POTFILES.in