configure spewage on clean svn tree due to missing POTFILES

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 03:51:53 EST 2006

On Sunday 08 January 2006 10:02 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> I just tried to build from a current SVN tree, a clean checkout
> (effectively), and I got the following spewage from configure:
>
> checking what extra warning flags to pass to the C compiler...  -Werror
> -Wdeclaration-after-statement mv: cannot stat `po/POTFILES': No such file
> or directory
> ./configure: line 37704: po/POTFILES.tmp: No such file or directory

I've noticed this on each build but, personally, I don't find it a problem. It
only happens on the CVS build. It never interferes or halts the build, it's
more a nuisance value.

It's brought into configure through the ALL_LINGUAS macros but when checking
the actual configure script, it's only a cursory tidy-up within the very last
stages of the macro. The command that generates the warning is intended to
simply refresh po/POTFILES which is something we do later in the build.

In configure:
   if test "$gt_cv_have_gettext" = "yes"; then
     if test "x$ALL_LINGUAS" = "x"; then
       LINGUAS=
<snip>to the very last command</snip>
   rm -f po/POTFILES
   sed -e "/^#/d" -e "/^\$/d" -e "s,.*, $posrcprefix& \\\\," -e "\$s/\(.*\)
\\\\/\1/" \
        < $srcdir/po/POTFILES.in > po/POTFILES

The only way to silence the message is to output a po/POTFILES.in before
gettext starts work - in effect resurrecting the po/POTFILES.in stump that we
don't want in svn.

Is it really worth it?

I suppose a macro that touches po/POTFILES.in would shut it up.

> Um, is there some way you guys hacking on the po/POTFILES stuff
> can handle this, please?

IMHO, we don't need to. It's a noisy nuisance warning that has no deleterious
effects on the rest of the build or generation of the translations. We just
run the refresh at a slightly later stage.

I've incorporated the po/POTFILES.in generation into the latest releases of
QOF and piot-qof. Trouble free because po/POTFILES.in - once built - is
distributed in the make dist tarball so the warning never appears in the
release code.

It's only CVS/svn developers who will ever see this "warning" and, IMHO, a
simple comment in README.svn may be the best solution. i.e. just ignore it,
it does no harm. There are plenty of other areas and quirks that are CVS/svn
only - I say ignore it.

--

Neil Williams