ChangeLog format

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 04:20:51 EST 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 1:58 am, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > Tell you what: I propose changing the format of the ChangeLog
> > slightly.

I'd rather stick to the existing format for my own commits. I'm happy with
others using different formats.

> > Not so much that the entries _have_ to be cut-n-pasted from
> > svn log, but enough so that entries that _are_ cut-n-pasted from svn
> > log don't look horribly out-of-place.

I don't think we can avoid that if there is more than one format. We certainly
don't want you logging to one file and me to another!

> > I'll even volunteer to reformat
> > the ENTIRE file

I'd rather you didn't. My editors (Anjuta mainly) are fine with the current
format - the email address is entered for me so it's no hassle.

> > Proposed format changes:
> >         1) Email addresses are not required

You can leave out yours if you prefer, mine is easier to include than to
exclude.

> >         2) 'Action' characters may replace '*'.  E.g.:
> >    M /trunk/Makefile.am
> >    A /trunk/po/glossary/nb.po (from /trunk/po/glossary/no.po:12015)
> >    D /trunk/po/glossary/no.po
> >    M /trunk/po/nb.po

Hmm. I might adopt those within my own changelog entries, in addition to the *
and : to retain the syntax highlighting in vi. As long as each is separated
with a space (not |), I'm fine.

> >         4) Commit dates may include time, too.

So swapping an email address for a time? Balances out one form of noise for
another, I suppose.

> >         5) Commit messages don't have to be block-indented.

I would like to continue indenting my own logs because it is, again, part of
the syntax highlighting.

> > Any complaints?  (/me dons flame-retardant jump-suit)
>
> None at all?  Ok.  Here I go...  really... yep... any moment now .... :)

Give us a chance!!
:-)

--

Neil Williams