libqof variables in configure.in (Fwd: gentoo ebuild)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 10 16:06:25 EST 2006

Hi,

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

>> 3. In *addition* to the "make DISTDIR..." solution I would like to
>> enable Martin's/gentoo's original approach "make prefix=/my/sandbox
>> install" as well. This would be an *additional* way for those
>> sandbox-packaging, and that way is supported by automake in principle as
>> well.
>
> If this is additional and keeps the other methods working, I'm more than happy
> to use it. I'll test with it - I suspect OSX is the one platform most likely
> to show any problems, it does do some very strange automake things.
>
>> My proposed patch for configure.in IMHO would achieve #3 while keeping
>>
>> #1 working. At least that's what my local test confirms. Proposed patch:
>>  >         QOF_VERSION="internal"
>>  >         QOF_PREFIX="internal"
>>  > -       QOF_XML_DIR=`eval echo ${datadir}/xml/qsf`
>>  > +       QOF_XML_DIR="\${datadir}/xml/qsf"
>
> OK, I'll test with OSX and go from there.
> (I really thought I'd tried this before going for the eval echo method, but
> I'll check it again.)

I'm concerned that:

  make install prefix=/tmp/dir/usr

.. will cause the program to rewrite the configuration file to look in
/tmp/dir/usr/bin when really /tmp/dir is just a temporary location for
the package management system to put the files until it can get
packaged and then installed into /usr/bin..

This would be BAD!

The real question is:  why is the 'user' installing using 'prefix='
instead of DESTDIR?  Not that it matters to us, but we should
make sure that we don't re-write anything during 'make install'