QOF is external, please tell me if you plan changes within

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 08:24:37 EST 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 12:08 pm, Christian Stimming wrote:
> However, that level of trust and mutual control
> does not hold any longer for your external libqof code. In that project
> you are the only active developer -- no doubt you would gladly accept
> more developers, but I for one don't want to join yet another project
> but instead want to develop the gnucash-relevant code inside gnucash.

Would you consider joining the QOF-devel mailing list (v.v.v.low volume) ?

I discuss all QOF related stuff there, particularly when a release is close.
It also includes discussions on all other non-gnucash QOF applications and
their release schedules.

> The decision to create an "external libqof" was made by yourself (and
> maybe Linas, but since he isn't active anymore he's not responsible for
> that right now). Again, you are free to develop yourself whatever you
> want, and after all this is all GPL, but for the *gnucash application*
> there are additional levels of trust that have to be fulfilled. In my
> opinion this level of trust is not (yet?) given for an external libqof.

I don't have commit logs sent to a mailing list for QOF (yet), principally
because it is only me. I think SF can do that if anyone is interested. I
would welcome any gnucash developers to join me in QOF development but I
don't expect many to have the time. So I'd rather keep discussion here - just
have a little more in relation to changes in libqof.

> > libqof should no longer be seen as 'owned by' or 'only a part of'
> > gnucash.

i.e. QOF is more than a fundamental part of gnucash, it has another life and
it would be nice if gnucash developers could at least bear this in mind.

--

Neil Williams