Should GnuCash use an external QOF library?

Martin Preuss aquamaniac at gmx.de
Wed Jan 11 15:27:54 EST 2006

Hi,

just the opninion of someone standing at the fence, watching :-)

I don't have the insight into Gnucash you guys have, but from here it looks
like this:
Some very important internal stuff from Gnucash has become a library of its
own which is now used by some other applications as well.

Some arguments seem to be about external QOF being only developed by Neil
while the internal QOF stuff is worked on by multiple very experienced
developers from Gnucash.

Since there already are other applications using external QOF it is rather
likely that QOF is being continously developed at Sourceforge anyway,
regardless of what Gnucash decides.

So the least work seems to be to help Neil in his external QOF and simply use
that from within Gnucash. Maintaining your own version of QOF seems to be
more work. However, that would make it necessary for some (if not all)
Gnucash developers to be members of QOF as well.

It would also make it necessary that important changes to QOF need to be
discussed before they are made.

I can see why some gnucash developers don't want to subscribe to yet another
project, but not doing so would make things much more complicated (IMHO).

External QOF has yet another advantage: As far as I heard the release cycles
of QOF are much shorter than those of gnucash, so bugs in this important
library can be fixed and made available to the public in much shorter time...

Just my 0.02 ¢
Martin

--
"Things are only impossible until they're not"

AqBanking - http://www.aquamaniac.de/aqbanking/
LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/