Should GnuCash use an external QOF library?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 16:39:57 EST 2006

On Wednesday 11 January 2006 8:38 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Here's a wild idea.  Call me strange, but...

I might just do that - you must know lots of things about svn that I don't.
(not surprising)
:-)

> Neil: how would you feel about relocating QOF-CVS to it's own module
> on the GnuCash SVN server?

Honestly? First thoughts were: "run away!!!"

> E.g., how would you feel about:
>
>    http://svn.gnucash.org/repo/libqof/trunk/...
>                                      /branches/...
>                                      /tags/...
>
> This way the gnucash developers can still make changes to libqof,

How is SF different to having QOF in svn on gnucash servers? It's still two
separate trees. The files still need to be copied around between the two and
that's as easily done on CVS as on svn.

Is it just the account setups? svn hooks? It's not that much harder to set up
SF accounts and then attach those to QOF at SF.

If we all had SF accounts and I set QOF at SF so that each of us has CVS write
access, how (exactly) does that differ from having QOF in svn at gnucash?
(apart from any personal dislike of SF)

TBH, I'm really not keen on converting QOF to svn. I tolerate svn for the sake
of gnucash but it isn't my favourite and I am still *much* happier on CVS.
(Plus my IDE does not support svn, it does support CVS.)

Are you saying commits can go to both trees at the same time? Or that entire
trees can be merged? How much control is there over that process?

> and it
> would be easy to merge changes from libqof into gnucash (and back)..

How? I really don't understand that bit. How can it be easy to merge between
different trees?

The build environment for QOF is very different to gnucash/lib/libqof and is
likely to become more different as the embedded work progresses. gnucash has
no need for the kind of cross-compiler / limited space build that QOF will be
able to enable with a separate build configuration. So merging QOF code into
lib/libqof cannot be done blindly, it needs a few tweaks - especially for the
Makefile.am files.

> If there are additional libqof devs at SF I could get them an account
> on SVN..

Only Linas.
:-(

> Eventually, if you wish, you could migrate back to SF CVS if you really
> want.

(I think I would, yes!)
:-)

> Just a wild idea that might help everyone involved.

I'm unconvinced, sorry. I don't like svn enough to use it for another project.
Then there's the confusion of mixing qof into gnucash space again.

QOF really doesn't benefit from being constantly linked to gnucash - it gives
the wrong impression and could easily make others think that QOF has
gnucash-like dependencies. You and I know different but sometimes those
impressions matter. (They did with pilot-link and it took several long
discussions to prove otherwise.)

I think it's better off at SF - Linas must have had his reasons to put it
there too. (Otherwise qof and gnucash would have been on the same cvs).

True the file replacements take a little preparation (with a SF tracker) but
they are handled promptly and that's a small price overall.

I know you don't like SF but I'm happy there. Much happier than I fear I would
be with svn. Sorry. I do appreciate the idea.
:-(

--

Neil Williams