gnucash2 C binary, cashutil and scheme

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 17:39:06 EST 2006

OK, now I'm stuck.
:-)
http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/12326

I've got a popt-compliant, gettext-compliant, command line option handling C
binary application launcher, called src/bin/gnucash2 - installed to
bin/gnucash2 - in the cashutil branch. It's only four steps from the cashutil
application in that it lacks the interactive shell, lacks undo, has a --gui
command but lacks the ability to be installed without the gnucash gui. It
also lacks any support for guile on the command line - how important is that?
(Bearing in mind it *does* support SQL-type queries instead.)

(and it's only 32kb).

$ /opt/garfield/cashutil-svn/bin/gnucash2
Usage: gnucash2 [-g|--gui] [--no-file] [-?|--help] [--usage] [-l|--list]
        [--explain] [-x|--xml-file filename] [-t|--date string]
        [-d|--database string] [-e|--exclude string] [-s|--sql string]
        [-f|--sql-file filename] [-w|--write filename] [--compress=integer]
        [--debug] [--version] [-c|--category string]

   GnuCash: Open Source Accounting Software
   See http://www.gnucash.org/
   Use --help for more detailed help or
   -g to load the gnucash main window.
   Use exactly one of -x -l -g --explain;
   options are -c -t -w, -d or -e, -s or -f.

(--category is a hangover from it's pilot-qof heritage - I'm well into code
reuse! - probably too confusing to remain, what with all the category
handling in Quicken etc.) For detailed explanations of the other options, see
the pilot-qof manpages.
http://code.neil.williamsleesmill.me.uk/pilot-qof.html

My initial problem is that some modules call scm functions in their init
routines so I've had to boot guile earlier than I had planned.

I'm now a little lost. All the modules are loaded (I've got an auto-load
routine that simply loads every installed gnc-module so new modules could
theoretically be added without recompiling) and I get this at the last stage
of the splash-screen:

Backtrace:
In current input:
   1: 0* (gnc:debugging?)

<unnamed port>:1:1: In expression (gnc:debugging?):
<unnamed port>:1:1: Unbound variable: gnc:debugging?

I need someone skilled in scheme to help me out in the cashutil branch and get
this working.

(Don't worry about the plentiful g_messages, those can be removed in due
course and any errors logged to /tmp/gnucash.trace - because I've also been
able to initialise the QofLog earlier than the existing gnucash scripts.)

In case you wonder, the gnucash/engine gnc-module is no longer used in the
branch (replaced by calls to QOF) but I also need some help to clear it out
from the scheme as it appears to be required somewhere other than the
gnc-module init functions. I've removed every occurrence with:
find . -name \*.c | xargs grep "if(\!gnc_module_load(\"gnucash/engine\", 0))"

Finance::Quote is the remaining component to load. (Unless I've missed
something - quite possible.)

--

Neil Williams