gnucash2 C binary, cashutil and scheme

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 12 10:11:04 EST 2006

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> On Wednesday 11 January 2006 11:05 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> However, I do want to ask how this distraction is going to help get
>> G2 out the door?  And yes, I do consider this is a distraction right now.
>
> Well, if we want a C binary to replace the scripts for G2, then it's fairly
> complete. From your reaction, I assume we don't now? I thought we did last
> week. It's not dependent on cashutil, it could be implemented in trunk
> without all the other cashutil build stuff. It just uses some code that I
> developed for cashutil/pilot-qof. (i.e. the CLI component works).

There's a difference between "having a C binary" and completely
replacing the way gnucash works.  Right now we have that C binary in
G2.  I think making incremental changes to that binary is fine before
g2.  Just outright replacing it wholesale with something untested and
by your own admission doesn't work is not something we should do at
this point in time.

>> Once G2 is out the door, great, let's work full bore on this, but right
>> now we REALLY REALLY REALLY need to get G2 finished.
>
> I thought part of that was to replace the init scripts with C. It's
> a bit of a change of direction in just a week, that's all.

No, the immediate thought was to have the gnucash binary be a C entry
point instead of a guile script.  That's been done.

> It's safely hidden on the branch so it won't get in anyone's way. I'll find
> something else if a standalone gnucash2 C binary is not to be part of G2.

Your definition of "standalone g2 C binary" and my definition are very
very different.  What exists now in SVN matches my definition, i.e.
/usr/bin/gnucash sets some env variables and calls
/usr/bin/gnucash-bin which is a C binary.

>From another email in this thread you said:

> Also, it uses the same context as other QOF CLI applications so it
> can provide a default session that is not based in a static variable
> in libqof. I should be able to pass that context (containing an
> input and export session amongst other CLI related variables) to
> scm_boot_guile and thence to an application-specific static
> variable, perhaps in the main window code, that will serve as the
> reference point for other calls to the now deprecated
> qof_session_get_current_session() and instead use maybe:
> gnc_get_current_session() or even gnc_get_context();

That's not what I meant by environment.  I meant Scheme Environment.