configure.in: Properly set QOF_LIB_DIR et. al. for internal qof.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 13 21:51:52 EST 2006

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> According to the autoconf manual (1), "In order to support these
> features [changing --prefix at make-time, et al.], it is essential
> that datadir remains being defined as `${prefix}/share' to depend upon
> the current value of prefix. A corollary is that you should not use
> these variables [all of the "installation directory variables"] except
> in Makefiles."

Read the patch again.  I'm not "using" those variables at all! I am
providing a /reference/ to those variables and setting THAT in the Makefile.
If you look in the generated Makefile, the /MAKEFILE/ says:

  QOF_LIB_DIR=${libdir}

And then it gets evaluated during 'make'.  This is EXACTLY what we want
to do, and /exactly/ what the autoconf manual says to do!

> The CFLAGS and LIBS are fine, but not $datadir or $libdir.  The GNU
> convention for Makefile's (2) allows the user to specify the
> installation prefix to 'make'.  Of course, the Makefiles we generate
> allow this conventional usage, but it won't work if we use $datadir in
> configure.in.

Indeed, and this does so!  Look at the generated Makefiles.  It's doing
exactly what we want.  You clearly don't understand shell programming, and
the difference between single-quotes and double-quotes.

> BTW, we're breaking this rule for goffice, too.  Maybe the fix is the
> same.

Sorry, I haven't looked... Where are we breaking it for goffice?