CFLAGS=-Werror problems (was: rev 12354)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Jan 17 09:45:55 EST 2006

The C snippets in the ./configure file unfortunatly almost always fail
miserably if your environment's CFLAGS contain -Werror. Somehow all
those autoconf macro writers only tested for compiler errors, not for
warning.

That is the actual reason for the --with-error-on-warning configure
flag: That flag will *not* add -Werror at the *beginning* of ./configure
but instead at the very *end* of ./configure, after all configure test
programs have been compiled without that flag.

I would recommend removing -Werror from any of your default CFLAGS
because as I said it will break almost any ./configure script in any
existing project.

Christian