svn trunk doesn't build again

Ganesan Rajagopal rganesan at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 20 10:35:41 EST 2006

>>>>> Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net> writes:

> Applied.   Thanks.

Hmm, the patch should not be required. More below.

> Now I'm curious.  What did you do to notice this?

I just did an "svn update" and then rebuilt the source tree. I even did a
distclean, ran configure again but that didn't fix the problem.

> I don't really understand how it works, but when I say:

> [src/gnome-utils/test/]$  /bin/sh ../../../libtool --tag=CC --mode=link \
>   gcc -g -o test-gnc-dialog  test-gnc-dialog.o -Wl,--export-dynamic \
>   ../../../src/gnome-utils/libgncmod-gnome-utils.la

> It links with src/engine/.libs/libgncmod-engine.so even without this
> patch.  (and many other .so libraries that aren't referenced directly.)

> I presume this is either because libgncmod-gnome-utils.la lists
> src/engine/libgncmod-engine.la in the "dependency_libs" variable, or
> because it's in the "relink_command" variable.

It's because of the dependency_libs variable. It gets there because
src/gnome-utils/Makefile.am has the dependencies for libgcnmod-gnome-utils
listed in libgncmod_gnome_tuils_la_LIBADD variable.

> Either way, I want to learn: when can I count on this libtool magic
> and when can't I?

You should be able to able to count on this magic as long as
<library>_LIBADD variable is properly set. So why did this break for me,
even after I did a "make distclean"? *scratches head*.

I'll dig deeper and see if debian libtool is messing something up.

Ganesan

--
Ganesan Rajagopal