htdocs and gettext

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon Jan 23 13:16:29 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 17:45 +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> Umm, no. If anything, PHP becomes a little more important as although the
> TRANSLATIONS are handled via PO, the CONTENT strings now need to be wrapped
> in php functions.

Oh, that's too bad.  I'd rather we were less coupled to PHP.  I don't
see why it's necessary for our web site, which is pretty much entirely
static.

> There are 234 phtml pages, 155 text files and 25 php scripts in the current
> design. With 5 languages, the PHP method could mean 424 files; the apache
> method (if I'm reading it right) would mean 2,070.

Well, I'm not sure why it's L*2 in one approach vs. L in the other...
and I think there'd be about the same number of source files (subtract
the php scripts but adding Makefiles)...

But who cares about a bunch of generated files?  Last I checked, disk
space was effectively free. :)  In any case, we can do all the work
once, or do it on each page request.  While it doesn't appear to be
slowing the site down, one option requires PHP and one doesn't.

--
...jsled