[draft] Release plans for 1.9.0?

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Thu Jan 26 11:07:47 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 16:17 +0100, Christian Stimming wrote:
> If you have any more issues, please always add them to bugzilla.
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash If you think
> these should be fixed before a particular release, mark them with the
> respective milestone.

[Slight tangent...] This assumes that we do know they should be fixed
before a particular release, but there's two ways to approach the case
where we know they should be fixed before 2.0, but don't know in which
particular release they will/should be fixed in.  There's two
approaches:

- "push-out": assign all un-slotted bugs to the next release, then
immediately before that release goes out push-out the ones that aren't
going to make it.

- "pull-in": assign all un-slotted bugs to the 2.0.0 target, then pull
in the ones that have-been- or need-to-be-fixed before a particular
milestone.

As we were just talking about on IRC, I think the later "pull-in"
strategy is less-depressing :), though it takes a bit of discipline for
developers to include both the next milestone and the 2.0.0 milestone in
queries in order to get a sense of what needs/can be done for a
particular release.

In any case, I think the project should roughly agree on one approach
over the other, and I think it's "pull-in".  Objections?

> That query currently says there is one more bug that should be fixed
> before 1.9.0, namely the "Crash on opening 1.8 datafile with renamed
> reports". But it's not clear whether this has been fixed by Chris and/or
> cannot be reproduced anymore. If it isn't that much of an issue any
> longer then maybe we can move it to a later target. If it is still an
> issue then we need to fix it.

I've another 2-4 bugs that I have-fixed (and not yet committed) or hope
to fix before Sunday.  The "crash on renamed report" is not among them,
however.

> What do people think?

1.9.0 this sunday.

--