[draft] Release plans for 1.9.0?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 26 20:25:14 EST 2006

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

>> Speaking of which, I think you removed the gnucash-run-script from
>> src/bin/overrides but not src/bin -- what's up with that?
>
> It's not in svn.

Sorry, was looking in the wrong directory.

>> I think this "main NEWS as-we-go" makes sence for patchlevel releases
>> (e.g. 1.9.0->1.9.1, 1.9.1->1.9.2, etc).   I don't think it makes sense
>> for major releases (1.8->2.0).  There's just WAY WAY WAY too much to
>> keep track of as you go for a major release.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Maintaining as we go means no huge chunk
> of work at any release.  Or are you saying we should do that from now
> on, but not for 1.9.0, since there's so much that changed?  I'm not
> suggesting that we should record more than normal, just that we record
> it at the same time as the change instead of at release-time.

Well, there's always a huge amount of work at a release...  There's not
just packaging the code (and maybe building packages) but there's also
writing up the release announcement, etc.   Running through the ChangeLog
and finding what's been changed between releases usually isn't that much
work.

I'm also suggesting that we shouldn't worry about between ANY major
releases (1.8->1.9/2.0,  2.0->2.1/2.2, etc.)..  Also, I'm not sure we
want NEWS to churn as much as ChangeLog.