htdocs and gettext

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 17:16:26 EST 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 4:19 am, Josh Sled wrote:
> > It's still useful, even though our content isn't as dynamic as a
> > database-driven site. e.g. the News items would be a royal PITA to handle
> > via SHTML or "baking" because the resulting index page would be a
> > nightmare to edit.
>
> Why would it be a "nightmare"?  I'm suggesting running the processor
> (PHP if you like) once, rather than during every page-load.  It's just
> string-substitution...

Depends on what we finally do with NEWS. If it's going to go with RSS then the
way we add news needs to change anyway.

TBH, you're proposing larger changes than I had anticipated. If most (all) of
the dynamic content is going to the wiki or simply /dev/null, then the rest
is up for grabs.

> [And FTR, I've been very vocal in saying that I think we should
> *eliminate* scheme from gnucash. So you might want to revise your
> stereotype.

Sorry.

> > Maybe we could parse XML to make it anonymous (for bug reports), maybe we
> > could do lots of other things - just because gnucash.org has *been* a
> > little static until now doesn't mean it should stay that way.
>
> Or, maybe we don't do those things.  We don't need them, and they are
> just one more moving part we can do without.  Or, when we do find that
> we need them, we can use a scripting language for JUST that piece.
>
> In any case, I think the website should be made (and subsequently stay)
> much simpler than it is now.

True (and with the scale of changes proposed on another thread, eminently
achievable) but I'm not convinced that the Apache method involving all that
duplication will actually simplify edits. I think it's easier to have one
site translated on-the-fly.

--

Neil Williams