[Gnucash-changes] r12999 - gnucash/trunk/lib/libqof/qof - Re-enable logging for GnuCash modules that haven't explicitly set their

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Sun Jan 29 14:13:50 EST 2006

God dammit, I swore I wouldn't get involved in this, but that's enough.

> 2) I am _not_ sympathetic to your self-imposed hardship of having the
> same code developed in svn and where-ever else you choose to develop
> your forked code-base.

Even if there was only one copy in GnuCash SVN, Neil would still try to keep
it usable for other projects.  Code reuse is one of the main points of FOSS.
He has shown his commitment to this, you have not.  That alone would make
having a single copy politically impossible.  That code is no longuer used
only by GnuCash, no matter where the code lives.  If it weren't for Neil's
patience, we'd have a fork on our hand (and we'd be responsable for it).

Neil is trying to make your job easier in this process, but you refuse to even
acknowledge that keeping the code generic is important (which is basically
all he is asking of you).

> 4) I will _not_ rehash this flamewar everytime I fix something in
> lib/libqof.

Neil has always been polite and argued with you on technical grounds.

But it seems that in every two messages you write you have to put some sniping
remark about Neil's skill level, or some other Ad Hominem.  This just isn't
acceptable.  But Neil doesn't attack you back, he dutifully ignores those
parts, extracts the technical content, and responds.  Guess who looks more
mature looking from the outside?  Neil has shown his willingness to bend over
backwards to help make changes in QOF as unobtrusive as possible for
GnuCash's development process, despite being frequently treated like an
unimportant incompetent.

His patient responses certainly earned my respect.  If I had been treated like
that when I joined GnuCash, I would have left long before I contributed
anything usefull.  I don't know how good his code is/isn't, and right now I
don't care, he still deserves to be treated with respect.

> 5) Please do not interpret any future lack of my response to this
> subject as approval for or agreement with your desire that GnuCash
> developers stop developing in lib/libqof.

Fine, but you'll most likely lose the argument.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/