Thank you everyone! (was: Re: GnuCash 2.0.0 Release)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Jul 14 15:49:09 EDT 2006

I'd just like to take this opportunity to say a big THANK YOU to all of you
who helped completing this milestone! You all together proved all
those ./-trolls wrong -- we *are* able to deliver a modern, up-to-date
polished version of this software, regardless of its large size and long
history! Thank you so much for all you efforts.

In the time between the 1.9.0 release and 2.0.0 bugzilla shows that 289 bugs
have been closed - that's approximately two per day. Kudos especially to
David, Derek, Chris, and Josh, for all their ongoing and neverending flow of
bugfixing and improvements! And of course all the other code contributors as
well. Thank you Chris Lyttle for the announcement effort and all those things
that need to happen around any release.

Also a big thank you to all of you translators, especially those who didn't
let the huge number of new strings keep them from updating their languages.
We now have 29 languages, more than ever before! This is Thanks to Pawan
Chitrakar, Bernard Meens, Vladimir Turbaevsky, Danny Fischer, Jonas Norling,
Nikos Charonitakis, Sigvei, Fabrice Kurz, Nigel Titley, Zdenko Podobny, and
Eneko Lacunza (and yet more whose names I unfortunately forgot).

Thanks also for all contributions in the documentation! That goes to Dave
Hermann, Bengt Thuree, Patrick Schweiger, and others. In the ./-comments
there were actually several people who gave praise particularly to the
documentation! So, thank you for your great job there.

There is some press coverage of our release, and this time all of it is quite
favorable. So, enjoy:

    * http://lwn.net/Articles/190743/
    * http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/07/10/1651249 Especially
this comment: "As far as I'm concerned GnuCash is one of the big reasons I've
managed to avoid bankruptcy in the past. It's standard approach to accounting
and reports was very helpful for me when I got into financial trouble in the
past." :-)))
    * http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS5098284506.html

German:

    * http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/75257
    * http://www.golem.de/0607/46392.html

Brazil Portugese:

    *
http://www.amauta.inf.br/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2497&Itemid=32

And I wish everyone all the best with all our further releases and success in
their own financial matters, of course!

Christian Stimming