[RFC] QOF Policy: sourceforge-qof is forked; no special lib/libqof policy needed anymore

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 21 12:18:41 EDT 2006

A few of us discussed this on IRC today.  The executive summary:

* QOF has forked and we can/should just ignore what happens in
  QOF-CVS.  Indeed, we might even just want to move lib/libqof/qof ->
  src/qof in our source tree to make it more clear.
* We should keep goffice/libgsf as long as it's cheap to do so.
* We should keep glib/gtk 2.4 support as long as it is cheap to do so.

-derek

<cstim> Neil's qof-devel list has one posting per week: http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=29456298 explaining his work on the qof-date data type.
<warlord> I think we can just ignore it.
<cstim> sure.
<cstim> I guess this is also your conclusion to the "qof-policy" final question?
<warlord> yeah.  i think it's just a fork and we can just ignorehis work.
<cstim> yeah.
<warlord> We could move it from lib/libqof/qof to src/qof
<warlord> and just reclaim it as our own.
<cstim> I would totally agree to the svn move.
* jsled agrees.
<warlord> I also think we can remove libgsf and goffice from our tree in trunk and just assume that distros will provide it.
<warlord> (i think we can also remove the glib-2.4 compatibility in trunk)
<jsled> yeah.  Did we want to do that for 2.2 or 3.0.
<jsled> ?
* cstim still uses gnucash's copy of gsf,goffice...
<warlord> Okay, we can rip it out for 3.0
<cstim> but my suse9.3 is probably old enough.
<jsled> I mean, there's very little cost to trying to retain 2.4/gsf/goffice support for the upcoming release.
<jsled> (2.2, I mean)
<warlord> Hey, I wont complain about keeping the support!
<jsled> heh.
<cstim> That's the point. As long as the support is still cheap for us, we can simply keep it.
<warlord> people wanted to rip it out prior to 2.0, so...
<cstim> At least one strong argument against that dependency night..something issue :-)
<warlord> i'm just saying that I have no problem removing it.  But I agree with cstim -- if it's cheap to keep the support then we should.
<jsled> yup.
<jsled> I have a feeling the gtk/glib compat layer is going to be the first thing to go.
<cstim> warlord: btw have you met benoitg?
<warlord> Yep!
<cstim> did you ask him to kindly have a new libofx release :-)
<warlord> yes, I did.
<cstim> thanks a lot.
<cstim> err, what was the answer?
<jsled> So, who's going to re-iterate the above bits to -devel for the record?
<warlord> his answer was that he's got a few changes he still wants to make.  But he said he was going to get to it.
<warlord> jsled: about qof?  I'll cut-and-paste this conversation in reply to the list.  ;)
<cstim> re libofx: oh yes, there's some bugfixing activity in http://libofx.cvs.sourceforge.net/libofx/libofx/ . Very good.
<jsled> Well, the QOF bits and the lib/{gsf,goffice} and g* compat policy.
<cstim> ok, see ya