Questions on v2.0 for Help rework

Dave Herman dvherman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 15:56:45 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 08:30 -0400, David Hampton wrote:
> > 1) What does "Renumber subaccount" do?
>
> It rewrites the account codes for all children of the current account.
> For example, you have the following account structure:
>
> Code    Name
>
> 10      Colors
> 10-1    -Red
> 10-2    -Orange
> 10-3    -Yellow
> 10-4    -Blue
> 10-5    -Violet
>
> You now need to add the "Green" account, but you want it to sort between
> the Yellow and Blue accounts.  Instead of having to manually renumber
> all the accounts starting with Blue, you can use the "renumber
> subaccount" command on the Colors account.  In the popup dialog the
> prefix value should default to "10", the account code for the colors
> account.  If you set an interval value of 5 and click "Renumber" you
> will end up with the following account structure:
>
> 10      Colors
> 10-05   -Red
> 10-10   -Orange
> 10-15   -Yellow
> 10-20   -Blue
> 10-25   -Violet
>
> Now you have room in the account code numbering space to add the Green
> account with an account code to force the proper ordering.
>
> 10      Colors
> 10-05   -Red
> 10-10   -Orange
> 10-15   -Yellow
> 10-18   -Green
> 10-20   -Blue
> 10-25   -Violet

Fantastic explanation - too good to leave just in the archives, with
your permission I'd like to include it in either Help or the
Tutorial/Concept Guide.

I have never used account codes so had no idea.

> > 3) Where is the text that is displayed as additional help in the
> > "setting preferences" windows?
> > I would like to use some of it in the "help" document.  I've done a
> > search for the text string, but did not find them.
>
> All the text in the preferences window comes from glade files.

Christian's suggestion re: PO files gave me pointers.  Thanks

> > 5) Has anything significant changed in the Tax Report section? Where did
> > all those codes came from?  All the Tax references in "TXF Export -
> > Known Anomalies and Limitations" seem to be "really old", are there
> > updates?  Is anyone on the Intuit TXF list?
>
> I've checked the TXF site and there hasn't been an updated document
> posted in years.

Either means nothing has changed or there are no "available"
standards.
My latest version of Q* is 04 and that is the next to last change date
in the TXF041 file, latest is 6/06 "to remove personal information".

I'm just not going to worry about that section for awhile.

Thanks again,

Dave