Register problems (still)

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Thu Jun 15 04:02:44 EDT 2006

There still may be some problems with the register.  I can't reproduce
the problem, or even describe it very precisely, so I haven't filed a
bug report but I've seen something like this twice now while entering
data into GnuCash.

Most recently I was recording a payment from my bank account into my
credit card account from the credit card register which was in "Basic
ledger" mode.  When I started entering the description field, GnuCash
recognized the transaction and completed the field.  However when I
tabbed out of it, the transfer account was blank.  I filled in the
correct value there (the bank account) and entered the transaction
which disappeared entirely from that register.  I discovered that it
had gone into an Orphan-USD account that had been created for the
purpose, but it wasn't correct there.  It looks like it had only one
split and wasn't a balanced transaction.  I've attached a screen shot
of the register for that new account.

When I saved the file I discovered that this bogus transaction was not
written to the file at all.  I diffed the file with the backup and it
wasn't there.  Sure enough, when I opened it again the Orphan-USD
account had no transactions.

As I said I can't reproduce this.  When I tried entering it again after
reloading the file it worked fine.  This is at SVN level r14345.

Mike Alexander           mta at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6