Problem using checkinstall for G2 svn

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Thu Jun 15 18:14:54 EDT 2006

digger vermont <dv_mlist at verizon.net> writes:

> Sorry, I didn't state the issue properly. The distribution/release I'm
> using is Ubuntu Dapper.  Though based on Debian there are differences in
> the way Ubuntu names some packages.  Also it looks like some packages
> use a different versioning scheme.  Some of the pkgs required by
> Debian's Gnucash 2 are these.

They use exactly the same versioning scheme.  However, for the install
you attempted, ubuntu seems to have out-of-date libraries compared to
current Debian unstable.

> For years I had been using Debian unstable and then started mixing in
> Ubuntu packages that were missing from Debian or newer.  It just got to
> be too messy so I decided on just Ubuntu (I like Debian, a tough
> decision).  I'd rather not get drift back into that situation.

It sounds like you're getting stung by that now, since ubuntu is not
tracking unstable so rapidly, and Debian gnucash in unstable is
requiring newer versions of libraries than ubuntu has.

>  gnucash depends on libdbus-1-2 (>= 0.61); however:
>   Version of libdbus-1-2 on system is 0.60-6ubuntu8.

libdbus-1 is needed by libgnomevfs, which gnucash uses directly.

>  gnucash depends on libfreetype6 (>= 2.2); however:
>   Version of libfreetype6 on system is 2.1.10-1ubuntu2.1.

libfreetype6 is needed by libpango1.0, which gnucash uses directly.

>  gnucash depends on libgnutls13 (>= 1.3.5); however:
>   Package libgnutls13 is not installed.

gnutls is needed by libgnomevfs, which gnucash uses directly.

>  gnucash depends on libgpg-error0 (>= 1.2); however:
>   Version of libgpg-error0 on system is 1.1-4.

libgpg-error is used by gnutls, which is used by libgnomevfs, which
gnucash uses directly.

>  gnucash depends on libgsf-1-114 (>= 1.14.1); however:
>   Package libgsf-1-114 is not installed.
>  gnucash depends on libgsf-gnome-1-114 (>= 1.14.1); however:
>   Package libgsf-gnome-1-114 is not installed.

Derek has already explained that gnucash uses gsf directly.

>  gnucash depends on libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.12.3); however:
>   Version of libpango1.0-0 on system is 1.12.2-0ubuntu3.

pango is used by gnucash directly.

>  gnucash depends on libpopt0 (>= 1.10); however:
>   Version of libpopt0 on system is 1.7-5.

popt is used by essentially every gnome library.

So, yes, all these libraries are, in fact, needed.

Thomas