A couple of words about Norwegian Translation

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Mar 19 15:52:12 EST 2006

Am Sonntag, 19. März 2006 14:43 schrieb Tor Harald Thorland:
> A couple of lines about the Norwegian translation.. As Christian said in
> the string freeze mail about the report optiions... that they needed a
> serious review.
> That is also needed on the Norwegian translation at a later stage (Also
> due to "lack of" financial experience/words).

Absolutely -- the German translation needs that, too.

However, this only concerns your language, which is different from the pre
string freeze review of the English strings -- these concern all 28
translations, so that review should be almost finished before we call this a
string freeze.

> The reason that i started to translate GnuCash was: It was just to
> "hard" to use it with all the unfamilliar words. (I think it was 200
> words translated at that stage) I'll hope at this stage that more people
> in my country can/will use it, and I will continue to upgrade the
> translation and the account templates to make them more financial :-)
>
> As I might have written before... I'm a Engineer, not a Financial guru.
> (There is quite a big difference:-)

You know the glossary, don't you? The Norwegian glossary in SVN is not yet
100% translated... One possibility for your further work goes like this: You
could make the glossary a 100% translation first. Then you go through that
translations one by one, and for each English term you search through the bid
po file and translate the easy strings which only needed one fixed
translation of the glossary term. When you've finished, you can be sure that
at least the glossary terms are translated consistently in the whole program
-- and as soon as a financial guru happens to propose a different translation
of one glossary term to you, you would only repeat that step for this single
glossary term.

I'm not sure how easy a search for one word is in kbabel -- in emacs po mode
it is extremely easy (Ctrl-S and start typing).

> BTW. what is the normal time between each gnucash release? has there
> been any regular releases?

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule for the testing releases; after
2.0.0 we will surely have a quick update interval for several 2.0.x releases
as well, especially for updated translations. I'd guess those will be in the
3-4 week interval range.

Christian