Scheduled Transactions dead list

Andrew Duggan cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Thu May 4 19:41:02 EDT 2006

Josh Sled wrote:

> Oh, what're you thinking?  I'm planning on re-writing most of the SX
> stuff in the next month or two, so we might want to coordinate now,
> before things diverge too much...

Basically I was thinking of checking every new tx as it goes into (by
entry) a register against a book-level (hopefully that's the right term)
set of sx instances, and if there is a match ask the user if that tx is the
sx due on $date, and if they answer "yes" then update sx with the last
occurred date and the new number of occurrences left.

The problem is I find the SinceLastRun dialog box a little to intrusive to
be presented when I start GnuCash. Sometimes even if do have "pending"
scheduled txn, I am not interested in doing it right at start up, but with
the autorun of that disabled, I have to "remember" to process the scheduled
transactions, and that is just too much like real paperwork ;-(

That way even if I've not run ActionsSinceLastRunAction in a while, but
I've been still paying my bills, I don't have a mess of /stale/ sxn to deal
with. That behavior would probably need to be controlled by a preference,
since I'm sure it would annoy some if not everyone else besides me. :-) I
guess I spent too many years using that consumer "Q" product. The matching
criteria I think would be pretty straight-forward, everything that is *not*
controlled by a variable in the sx except for the date and "number" and
maybe notes would have to match, although it would have to be agnostic
regarding the order of the splits.

That might be more than I am cut out for, but in the mean time I figured I
would see if I could get it to tell me how many sxn I would have to deal
with if I did a ActionsSinceLastRunAction, and put that count on the
"important" label of a toolbar button I added to call
ActionsSinceLastRunAction. (I am more likely to remember to push the
toolbar button (since I can see it, than I am to hunt for the option on the
  Action menu.

I have already gotten the GList of sxn and can spin through those and
getting the end and endPlusReminder dates is easy, then its just a matter
of calling generate_instances() (which already does the heavy lifting) for
each sx and then spinning through the instanceList and remindersList lists
to count the number. (or so I guess at this point) Then I all I should have
to do is free all of the GList stuff and return the counts.

find ~/devel/gnucash -name \*.[ch] -exec grep -H $LOOKING_FOR {} \;

has been my best friend lately,

Thanks,

Anmdrew