Building gnucash-1.9 from svn on OS X

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri May 12 10:31:49 EDT 2006

On May 12, 2006, at 6:20 AM, Adrian Simmons wrote:

> Kevin Broderick wrote:
>> I've got it working and I added a wiki page detailing how I did it
>> <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation>.
> Thanks for taking the time to write this up Kevin, I've been
> wanting to try myself but didn't feel I had the time to figure out
> all the hoops.
>
> A few questions though. Are you swapping back and forth between 1.8
> and 1.9 or just sticking with 1.9?

It is possible to go back and forth, but there are some potential
problems. I avoided them by having a whole second fink /sw tree
without conflicting dependencies. Dave Vasilevsky (one of the fink
gurus) has a script that lets you switch among multiple fink installs
in a couple seconds. It requires a lot of disk space because you need
matching gnome dependency installs for any tree that must support
running some version of gnucash.

I think that for Kevin's install route, you might be able to run both
versions as long as your 1.9 install is in a directory that is not in
your path. But fink's normal installation puts the fink tree first in
your path, so there is a real possibility that gnucash 1.8 libraries
may conflict with 1.9 calls. In that case, you may be able to run 1.9
by using fink to remove gnucash 1.8.11 while you need 1.9. Then
reinstall 1.8.11 when you need to go back (remember that the 1.9
install location should NOT appear in your PATH variable). It takes
less than 2 minutes for either the remove or the reinstall in fink.

> What strategies can I use to move back and forth between the two
> versions - the data files I can handle (make backups, specify a
> separate version when launching gnucash etc), it's gnucash that
> worries me.

I think it's only the possible conflicting libraries. As above, 'fink
remove gnucash' while you use 1.9 and 'fink reinstall gnucash' when
you need 1.8 has a good chance of working, as long as the 1.9 install
locations are not in your PATH.

> Once 1.9 is compiled and installed in /usr/local can I fink
> reinstall gnucash 1.8 and just launch them from their respective
> locations?

I think /usr/local ends up in your path by default. I'd suggest /opt
(have to create the directory) or ~/usr as Kevin did.

> --
> Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://adrinux.perlucida.com>
> e-mail <mailto:adrinux at perlucida.com>

Dave