Balance as of a certain date

don Paolo Benvenuto paolobenve at gmail.com
Sun May 28 17:46:24 EDT 2006

Reopening a old thread...

Chris Shoemaker wrote:

> > Hi guys!
> >
> > I'm putting bounties on some new gnucash feaures, namely:
> >
> > - US$ 100.00 for adding to the general accounts tab the possibility to
> > see the "actual" balances referred to a given date. It could be done via
> > a text box to put in the upper right corner.
>
> (...) A couple things to note, though:
>
> 1) For consistency with the summary bar, and so that it can re-use the
> date entries, I don't think it should show the absolute account
> balance at one date, but rather, the account balance *change* during
> the accounting period.  Those two things are the same if your
> accounting period starts before your first transaction, but you might
> want to just see the balances for, say, the last three months, so I
> think that's more useful.

Well, actually we do need the account balance *change* for income and
expenses. We don't need the balance value for these account types.

On the contrary, we do need account balance *value* for cash, bank,
etc.: for those account types the absolute value is meaningful, not the
difference between the starting and the ending date.

Could we think to add a column showing the absolute amount at the end of
the period?

Really, the bounty would be complete when

- in the preferences accounting period tab there is possibility to
choose not only a start-end date option, but a startdate-periodlengh
one, where periodlengh would be month/quarter/year

- there is a rather direct way to increment the startdate by a
periodlengh unit: i.e. passing easily to the further month/quarter/year
without having to open preferences.

What do you think guys?

I'm concious I must be thankful for the (incomplete) work that has been
done till now, and I'm going to send a $50.00 via the sourceforge
donation page.

--
Buon Cammino!

don Paolo Benvenuto

Vuoi sapere di più su quello che succede qui?
leggi il mio diario a http://www.chiesamissionaria.it/diario

Visita l'enciclopedia libera, dove puoi contribuire anche tu:
http://it.wikipedia.org/