Can't open data file in r14202

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed May 31 19:39:34 EDT 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:57:22PM -0400, David Reiser wrote:

> >>Any news on this front?  Maybe we should ask some libtool folks for
> >>some help.
> >
> >Are you sure that a shared object is still supposed to be called
> >".so" on Mac?  Are you sure this isn't a glib/gmodule bug?
>
> loadable modules (as opposed to shared libraries) can have any
> extension. Apple recommends .bundle, but the world at large seems to
> prefer .so.

Yes, and AFAICT, .so has worked for a long time.  We've verified that
libtool is correctly building a shared module.  It's just the
unconventional .dylib extension that's a problem.  So either:

a) new libtools changed the convention (unlikely); or

b) something about your setup is causing libtool to name shared
modules .dylib; or

c) something about our use of libtool is wrong.

But I don't know what c) would be, since it's building the correct
file, and the extension is something libtool is supposed to hide from
us.

> The fink folk have some information:
>
>   http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/shared.php
>
> I'm hoping that's enough to answer chris' initial questions

That's a helpful document for understanding how it's _supposed_ to
work, but it doesn't tell me what's wrong.

Just for kicks: Please go into src/backend/file, do a 'make clean' and
then a 'make'.  Then, post the line from the output that contains the
".libs/libgnc-backend-file.dylib" string.

Thanks.

-chris