GC architecture for backends

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Nov 1 18:51:27 EST 2006

Quoting Daniel Espinosa <esodan at gmail.com>:

>> Also, we'll need to make changes to handle the fact that file://
>> should get redirected to sqlite:// -- but the code will need to
>> test the file first to see what kind of file it is, so that File -> Open
>> does the "right thing".   I.e., the fact that we're using SQLite
>> should get hidden from the user when we migrate to it.
>>

> I think the URI mus be gda:// or db://, think that gda is wrapper for
> many DB backends not just sqlite.

At some level we need to be able to specify what kind of database is
sitting behind there.  At SOME point we need to know how to specify
a filename for SQLite vs. a host/port/user/password for PG.  So clearly
there's some differentiation there.

But this is irrelevant to what I meant.   What the user types into the
File->Open dialog does not need to be the string that gets passed the GDA.
I'm just pointing out that we need to intercept that input and handle
it appropriately, which may mean adjusting the actual string and perhaps
calling the XML or GDA-with-SQLite backends.