GC, QOF and queries

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 3 17:00:51 EST 2006

Quoting Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com>:

> On Fri, 2006-03-11 at 14:40 -0600, Daniel Espinosa wrote:
>> I know some about GObject architecture, I plan to use this to
>> understand QOF, that's the easy part, and plan to implement most of
>> the Interface to create the backend privider independient as far as I
>> could, focus on SQLite for the first time and PosgreSQL in parallel.
>>

> I'm already creating a backend for GDA.  Are you creating another one?

I think, Phil, that you should use Daniel as a resource to better
understand GDA.   Daniel, I think you should provide your GDA knowledge
to Phil who seems to better understand the issue at hand.  I leave it
to you two to figure out how to best work together.

Phil, you might want to try to model the GDA backend similar to the
File Backend where you can add plugins that supply additional tables
or callbacks.   Also, you probably wants a "settings" table where you
can keep things like DB Schema version, etc.

Finally, when designing the schema you should keep in mind that we probably
want an audit table so we can look back at who changed what (and maybe even
when).   Also, in the DB we probably want a 'last updated' column on each
primary table so we can easily keep track of when changes were made..  This
would be useful for multi-user cache coherency.