r15094 - gnucash/branches/gda-dev - Initial commit of initial gda backend framework. See GDA_STATUS.

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 8 18:02:51 EST 2006

On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 05:22:51PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com>:
>
> > Question: A user updates to GC 2.2 (or whatever rev has the new backend)
> > and opens his XML file.  He then saves the file using the Save button.
> > Is it saved as SQLite?  Does the need for the Save button disappear
> > because he runs from then on with the GDA backend?  Or, does he
> > specifically need to Save As to convert to SQLite?
>
> This is still an open question.  There are multiple ways to consider
> handling this.  One way is to do as you suggest; if you open an XML
> file it stays as an XML file, but if you create a new file it's SQLite.
> In this approach users much manually convert from XML to SQLite via Save-As.
> In another approach GnuCash would automatically upgrade a user from XML
> to SQLite..
>
> I don't know the right answer here.  and I dont think we need to answer
> this yet, either.

I've been watching this thread with some interest and am happy to see
more activity on gnucash. And a new dev! yeah!

My .02 as a user sticking my nose where it doesn't belong. For me
personally, an automatic conversion to SQLite is a good thing. Gnucash
would then more closely follow the operation of
Quicken/Quickbooks. Don't get me wrong, I don't think gnucash should
follow intuit's lead, but I know the concept of "saving" in a
financial program is alien to many new users. It took me quite a while
to get in the habit of saving. And its a shocker to lose data in a
crash too. I think it would make for a much more robust and friendly
gnucash.

For those who think its great to be able to manually edit the XML when
there's a problem, its definitely a difficult thing to do and really
isn't a necessary consideration, IMVHO. And, would it necessarily be
any more difficult to edit a db instead of the XML?

my .02

keep up the great work guys!